Monday, November 30, 2015

"...you must demonstrate your skill."

I've not thought to blog in the last two months. From the end of October, then all through November I was grinding hard. Above the pace I had been on throughout the year. Come December I ended up choosing many other options over poker to occupy my time and ended up only clicking about 55 hours played (100 would be my monthly average). Looking to restart now that the holidays are over, back to regularity.

My favorite MMA journalist (Jack Slack) posted an article recently which greatly resonated with me. And while he's writing explicitly in reference to combat sports, the sentiment translates to any challenge of skill:

"A striking advantage or a grappling advantage on paper is just that. A fighter can train with the best in the world and rack up a streak of finishes over tremendous competition, but every single fight is a clean slate and he must demonstrate his skill. The laws of the fight game don't care about a fighter's accomplishments or qualifications, you should know that from how harshly every legend in this game is made to age in the cage."

Far before I ever begun my poker journey I used to preach to my gaming colleagues about execution > previous accomplishments and "the game doesn't care who you are, only if you're outperforming your challenge. Since I've read that I've been using it as a pre-play reminder for myself to be as rational as possible and avoid coming into a good spot feeling like I'm owed something by just showing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment