Tuesday, April 7, 2015

"I've never been as good a player as I am today"

Getting in deep into games is nothing new for me. I'd like to think that overall I've improved a lot when it comes to playing appropriately based on my (concerningly small) bankroll, but this past weekend is evidence that I'm both still prone to getting in deep early, and stable enough of a player to persevere contrary to the numbers reflected in these sessions.

Saturday overnight into Sunday I played a 15 hour session where I ended up with >40% of my roll invested. Monday morning/day I played a 12 hour session with >60% of my roll invested. Solid play on both occasions, and while I endured a lot of 2nd best scenarios and a few scenarios where I couldn't max out my value I was never playing bad poker.

I refused to accept "Some times it's just not your day" as an answer. I'm not settling for writing off time I'm free to play just because I'm on the unfortunate side of how the cards ran out. My head was on straight, I was playing well and the game was too good to give up playing. "Today I'm in for more than I've ever been in before, but I've never been a better poker player than I am today." I'm not playing to chase even, I'm making good decisions. not playing a great game means I'm losing money.

During the final hours of my afternoon session yesterday I had some breakeven-ish players leaving my table because they couldn't handle me overwhelming them most of the hands I was entering.

"What the hell you always hit right away after you raise?"
"YES! That's 100% accurate! :D"

When the game slowed down and I started to fatigue I cashed out and took a nap. Booked it up north for a few hours and finished the day up $45. I may have spent more than that on gas & food over the 17 hours of play today, but being able to see the redemption turnaround in such a brief window of play means more than the XX hundreds of dollars I swung back and forth. It means I'm right to believe in myself. And tomorrow I'm going to do my best to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment