Thursday, May 25, 2017

The best time I've ever gone broke

I've never gambled with money that I can't afford to lose. I hope that I never make decisions that lead me to changing this position. I've busted myself to the point of being unable to afford to lose more times than I can remember, and I'm presently in this frustratingly familiar position once again for the last week and change. In terms of poker, I think that I largely gamble pretty good overall, that being said I could easily dial in a few more places where I tend to pick overly volatile spots.

"Until you can manage a bankroll, you'll always be red-lined" Easily the most helpful advice I've embraced, though my biggest obstacle has been bankroll management from outside of poker. I do feel that I've done a lot to improve this in the last year, though I also feel that I have much further to go.

I'm more than a solid winning player, and I don't think I'm at all deluded in my belief that the ceiling for my skill in this game is very, very high. I've been good at lots of things in my life, although I feel like I've only been great at a few things. Even though I've worked hard in a lot of things where I have improved greatly, I haven't worked particularly smart in a lot of the space of that hard work.

One of the strongest attractions I've had to poker, even far before I began this journey was that no matter how much time, work, or what my age is, this is something I can continue to improve myself at. By no means do I consider my level of accomplishment (or lack thereof) very noteworthy, though when I look back at the player I used to be, it's clear that I've come a long way.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride" for life... I do plan to continue to improve my ability to consistently buy better ride tickets though. Additionally, my decision to not buy/sell any action since I determined that I didn't want to deal cards anymore was the right one. This is my journey, and I don't want to be influenced by introducing an external element into the equation of value while I'm playing.

Repetition if not deliberate practice certainly has a conditioning effect, and if for no reason other than I honestly believe myself to be far more balanced in life than even six months ago. That easily has made busting out of the game easier to handle gracefully, though lets be sure to remember it still fucking stings. "Be humble in victory, and be humble in defeat." So far, so good. Lets do a better job preparing myself to not have this struggle so easily again.

Nice Hand :)

No comments:

Post a Comment